It would be really useful to be able to display a permanent notification/alert in the preside admin, maybe in a banner style at the very top or right beneath the top navigation bar.
This could be interesting for various situations, e.g.
- showing the next scheduled maintenance window a week in advance
- inform admins about available preside update
- inform admin users about a recent update of their system (e.g. with link to release notes)
- inform admin users about some important manual action to perform
A use case for a current client project goes as follows:
Create a reminder system in the backend where an admin can set milestones with target dates. When a target date of a milestone is reached the admins are informed (once by email but permanently in the admin, very prominent, visible on each and every screen). If the admin sets an “achieved date” for the milestone then this permanent message will disappear.
- create a “framework” to use this concept programmatically
- in addition create a sys setting to allow a sys admin to create a notification in the preside admin
- options could be
- scheduled (e.g. display from this date to that date)
- dismissable (whether a user can dismiss the notification and does not see it again)
- type of message (info, warning, error/problem)
- maybe differ between title/heading (optional), a message and a link (optional)
Additional stuff for discussion
- maybe it is possible to create more than one notification at a time
- recurring notifications (e.g. 1-10. day of each month a notification is displayed regarding a maintenance windows on the 11. day of the month)
- an admin user is currently able to “subscribe” to the regular notifications - to be notified by email: we could have an additional option that has the possibility to highlight specific messages from the preside notification framework in this banner/alert style to make it more prominent